Home > About Us
Sweet Adelines International is a highly respected worldwide organization of women singers committed to advancing the musical art form of barbershop harmony through education, competition and performance. This independent, nonprofit music education association is one of the world's largest singing organizations for women.
Members extend over five continents and belong to more than 500 choruses and 1,200 quartets. Sweet Adelines choruses and quartets sing exciting a cappella, four-part harmony music, barbershop style. The music includes special arrangements of today's ballads, classic songs, popular show tunes and mainstream music. Members say that singing the powerfully balanced sounds of barbershop harmony provides a rich, rewarding experience.
Sweet Adelines International is governed by an elected board of directors and administered by a professional staff in Tulsa, Okla. Led by a chief executive officer and a leadership team, the staff oversees a wide range of programs and services, including:
• The Pitch Pipe, a quarterly magazine
• Digital mastering of audio and video productions
• Music publishing services, with hundreds of barbershop arrangements in print
• Distribution of electronic recordings for entertainment and education
• Convention planning for meetings attended by 8-10,000 people annually
• International Sales, an educationally focused inventory of products and materials
• Education programs: Directors Certification Program, Arrangers Program and Judging Program
• Contests in quartet and chorus singing at regional and international levels
• International champions named in chorus, quartet, and young women aged 25 and under divisions
"Harmonize The World"
First meeting: Friday, July 13, 1945 in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sweet Adelines International is a worldwide organization of women singers committed to advancing the musical art form of barbershop harmony through education, competition and performance.
The Young Women in Harmony program offers music educators a means of including the study and performance of barbershop harmony in school music programs. The aim is to provide materials, training and performance opportunities for young women and to foster appreciation for the American musical art form of barbershop harmony. Various regions or choruses within Sweet Adelines organize festivals and school presentations each year. Free educator kits are provided to music educators.